Monday, August 29, 2011

A WILD RIDE ACROSS THE DESERT

  Today started with  a tour of the land surrounding Wendover – on Four-Wheelers.  Such fun !  Our guide, “Mr C. was a sweet young man who seemed knowledgeable about the area’s history and he definitely had a sharp eye for wild life. He spotted a herd of antelope clear up on a ridge far-far away  and he found another small herd on the plains in the lowland too.



Okay, so I’ll just come right out and say it: At first I was pretty nervous about taking the ride. I ride behind Norm all the time on his motorcycles, but it’s been YEARS since I’ve driven a scooter and I’d never been on a four-wheeler.  I wasn’t sure what to expect.


  It turned out great though. It was just Norm and I and the guide guy and he started out nice and slow and gave me time to get used to it. Once I got the hang of it I took off !   


Diverse, spectacular, and dynamic are three words that describe the geology of Utah. We got to see a bit of it all this morning as we bumped along the dusty trails across the desert and into the mountains. AWESOME RIDE !  And, while we didn’t actually get to drive on the Salt flats, we did get a spectacular panorama of them from a mountain above. 

 Norm then arranged to be taken out to the Salt Flats to see what was happening with the motorcycle trials. I opted to return to the motel for a shower. It was a DUSTY ride and I knew it was going to be hotter than a cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof out there.

It was another great morning on our adventure home on the long road home….And the beat goes on.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. " ~ Cadet Maxim

No comments:

Post a Comment